For Day 5 of the Build a Better You Day Advent Calendar we are going to talk about HALT.
Stress is inevitable during the holidays. No matter how much you practice gratitude, or spend time having fun and seeing friends, there will be bumps along the way.
Our regular routines are busy enough without adding in the hustle and bustle of the holidays. Suddenly we have even less time so something has to give. As we run around we skip things like:
- Regular healthy meals
- Eight hours of sleep
- Spending meaningful time with our families
- Relaxing, unwinding, and recharging
This sounds like a recipe for stress, doesn’t it?
When you find yourself feeling stressed, nervous, or cranky, you have become blended with a part. That part has an important message for you: they’re saying HELP!
Or maybe I should say, HALT.
HALT stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired
During this month of Building a Better You, we can practice responding to stress, not reacting to it.
The next time you find yourself feeling bad stop what you’re doing. HALT.
Ask yourself, am I feeling:
- Too hungry?
- Too angry?
- Too lonely?
- Too tired?
You only have to say ‘yes’ to one of those questions to warrant taking a HALT. You’ll want to bring your Self energy to help these loud parts who are asking for help.
- Too hungry? – Eat something!
- Too angry? – Get up and move around! There is a saying, “move a muscle, change a thought.”
- Too lonely? – Call or text a friend. Go out and have coffee at a busy shop. Be with people.
- Too tired? – Take a nap. Even meditating for 20 minutes will bring you deep relaxation.
When you were little and you were overextended, your mom would give you a snack and put you down for a nap. It really can be that simple.
Some Other Resources to Help You Manage Stress during the Holidays
- Rummage through my first-aid kit for anxiety and depression.
- Read the 6 things you should say to yourself when you’re feeling blue.
- Download this guided meditation I made and give it a listen.
- So you think you can’t meditate? Listen to my podcast that will completely change your mind about that.
- Listen to my podcast about other, more lasting ways to unblend from a part.
If you enjoyed this post, why not sign up to receive the emails? The Build a Better You Advent Calendar runs every day in December and will give you a tip or a thought to help you enjoy the holidays in 2015.